Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Classroom Blog for Beginners

What is a web log (blog)?

A blog is a personal website where one may regularly record opinions, activities and experiences for others to read and, optionally, comment upon.

There are many free online blogging platforms with tutorials to help you get up and running quickly.

What prompted me to start using a blog in LINC classes?
  • I wanted a place to park links to sites I would use again and again
  • I wanted computer lab day to be less stressful for me
  • I wanted to make students' experience in the lab stress-free
  • I wanted to empower students, make them more self-sufficient in the lab, able to choose among activities and set their own pace
What are some other reasons teachers use web logs?

There are as many reasons for blogging as there are teachers and classes. Here are some ways you may wish to use a web log:
  • to make computer lab day easier, as many of my colleagues have done (see sidebar), and as I have done for my seniors and for my literacy class
  • to give your students a forum for expression, exploration and collaboration
How will you use your new blog? Leave me a comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment