Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Assimilation and Deletion, Part 2

Hello!

Whew. That was much better, don't you think? Ahmad and Wen were not in class yesterday, so they benefited from the review of what we covered yesterday. I thought we could use a little more practice with yesterday's concepts.

But first we chatted a bit about the neighbourhoods of Windsor: downtown, Walkerville, Old Sandwich Town, Pillette Village, Old Riverside, South Windsor, and The Via Italia (Erie Street). I asked each of you where you live and whether you like that area. My favourite neighbourhood is Walkerville because I love old houses. But I live in Riverside. I hope to move to Walkerville in the future. Florin said he lives there. He can smell the distillery, but only once a week.

I put twelve words and phrases from yesterday on the board. Some of them were examples of assimilation, like "these shoes." Some were examples of deletion, like "landlord." One was an example of consonant to vowel linking. I gave a pair of dice to Angela and asked her to roll. The number she rolled indicated the word or phrase on the board that she had to use in a sentence. Everyone did great! You are becoming very comfortable with linking, assimilation and deletion.

Next we went over a long list of other words that have silent letters. I did not tell you ahead of time which letters are silent. You told me that the "p" in raspberry is silent. The "n" in column is silent. You did a great job on those!

Next we asked each other some questions that included words and phrases from the lesson: landlord, next month, first country, favourite, beverage, etc. After you had about ten minutes to talk to your partner, I asked some of you what you learned about your partner. That was very interesting! I learned that Husnieh's favourite beverage is milk. Ahmad learned that when his mother tells him the meaning of a word in English, he can trust her.

I announced today that I will be gone next week after the long weekend. My boyfriend and I are going to Muskoka for a little vacation. I don't think we will see any colours; it's probably too early for that. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Stephanie will teach the class.

See you!

No comments:

Post a Comment