Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Lax U Sound - /ʊ/

Hello, students!

Today was a scorcher, wasn't it? I hope we get more rain to cool things off.

Today we finished practicing our coffee shop dialogues from yesterday. Each student wrote a dialogue for ordering at Tim Horton's. Then we recited our dialogues aloud.

Florin used a useful phrase in his dialogue: "keep the change." He gave the server a tip.

During the second part of the class, we learned another vowel sound. This is the lax "u" in the words book, cookie, would and should. The phonetic symbol looks like this: /ʊ/

We practiced the sound using a variety of activities.

Finally, we practiced giving advice using the following phrases:

Maybe you should...
You could...
Maybe you shouldn't...
You should....
If I were you, I would...

Florin took the first role playing card. It said:

"I have a 16-year-old son. Yesterday I found cigarettes in his room. What should I do?"

We gave him some advice on that.

Wen took the next card. It said:

"My child learns bad words at school. What should I do?"

One idea was to call the school and talk to the teacher. The teacher could have a talk with the children.

Have a good weekend and stay cool! Don't forget to do the homework on the back of the coffee shop dialogues sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment