Friday, July 11, 2014

Summer English Lesson #6 - Gone Fishing

Hello, students!

Today's lesson is especially good for those of you who fish or who stroll along the riverside. When you see someone else fishing, you can start a conversation by asking about their luck fishing.

Here are some ways to start the conversation:
"Hi! Caught anything?"
Or...
"Having much luck?"
These two are yes/no questions, so don't forget the rising intonation.
"What kinds of fish have you caught today?"
That's a wh- question, so your voice goes up on the word FISH, then down again.

If you are also fishing, you can tell the other person about your fish. You can say,
"I really like catching perch. They are delicious."
The most stressed words are PERCH and DELICIOUS.

You can also ask people how they cook their fish. You can say:
"Do you fry your fish? I steam mine." 
Those sentences are contrasting two ways of cooking, so you need to stress the words FRY and STEAM.

Give this a try the next time you are down by the water.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Kelly,
    I learned "Gone Fishing" today. Because I don't have many opportunities to go fishing at the riverside, I continue to learn Small Talk 6, 7, 8.
    Have a nice day.
    Weiying Jin, July 12

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Weiying,
    That's great! I'm in Mexico now but I will post new lessons when I return.
    Cheers! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teacher Kelly, good evening!
    I am Miaojuan. I wish you a nice trip.
    Last week I had an English practice for getting a medicine.Before I went to a pharmacy, I always followed my husband. Now I can do this with myself. That's because I already learned English lesson for how getting a medicine. I went to the Royal Windsor Pharmacy Inc. and I told a dispenser for getting a refill's drug. I told her my name and showed my Heath Card. But I couldn't speak 'refill' correctly, so at first she couldn't understand my meaning. I changed my pronunciation. I read the refill as not ,she understood. I got my refill's drug.
    Now I like to speak simple English conversation.
    I thank Kelly for teaching us practical English .
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miaojuan, I am very happy to hear that you went to the pharmacy by yourself this time! I am so glad our classroom practice helped you do this. Kelly

    ReplyDelete